Economy and Technology Trends
Twice a year, Mary Meeker from Morgan Stanley releases her presentation on econonomy and technology trends. No real surprises here – mobile and social networking are going like gangbusters – but there’s a ton of good data in there.
- Financial Markets have rebounded lead by a strong technology sector
- Leading economic indicators are pointing up, lagging indicators are still weak
- Mobile internet usage is bigger than most people think:
- Outpacing desktop internet adoption
- Carrier networks will be hard pressed to keep up
- iPhones are driving it as usage is high, not just market share
- Mobile users are more likely to spend money than internet users. Pay for services and applications have put crappy ringtones and wallpapers in the backseat. Apple’s recent announcement on “In App Purchases” should help drive adoption.
- Mobile devices will become ubiquitous remotes. We’ve already seen this with the Viper Smart Start and will see even more devices in the next year.
- Mobile + Social Networking is where the most innovation will occur.
So take a look and see where your next opportunity lies!